022013-sheriff-lg
February 20, 2013 By

American sheriffs unite to defy Obama’s gun grabbing laws

Joining a growing number of the nation’s law enforcement officials refusing to partake in unconstitutional actions ordered by the federal government, the sheriff of Linn County, Ore., sent a preemptive letter to Vice President Joe Biden  stating he is prepared to refuse to enforce federal regulations “offending the constitutional rights of [Linn County] citizens.”

According to his letter to Biden, Sheriff Tim Mueller will also prohibit his department’s “enforcement of any unconstitutional regulations or orders by federal officers” within his jurisdiction.

Several states have passed laws preventing local law enforcement officers from enforcing unconstitutional laws such as federal gun-control laws including Utah, South Dakota, Tennessee, Idaho and others. Recently Kentucky and Wyoming introduced similar legislation.

The Constitutional County Sheriff’s Association is in the process of publishing a list of the Constitutional County Sheriffs in individuals states who have taken an oath to seriously refuse to enforce laws that violate the Constitution such as gun laws being proposed by President Barack Obama and members of both houses of the U.S. Congress, according to Keith Broaders, the administrator for the CCSA, on Monday.

Every Sheriff is required by law to take an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. This is not just a suggestion, it is the duty of the Sheriff to enforce just laws and refuse to enforce laws that are not, according to Broaders.

For example, Maricopa County Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio told a local radio host the federal government is “going to have problem” if they expect him to confiscate guns from private citizens.

“I took [multiple] oaths of office, and they all say I will defend the Constitution of the United States,” Arpaio told Mike Broomhead of KFYI Radio in Phoenix.

“Now if they’re going to tell the sheriff that he’s going to go around picking up guns from everybody, they’re going to have a problem. I may not enforce that federal law,” Arpaio said according to World Net Daily.

“As a County Sheriff you can serve only one master. Are you going to keep your oath and serve the people, or are you going to be the enforcer of unjust Federal rules, regulations, codes, ordinances and statutes?” said the CCSA founder.

“I want to know if you [as a law enforcement executive] plan to be a servant of the people or an administrative lap dog for the Federal agencies and bureaucrats?”

Take Action -

Tell Congress to OPPOSE federal gun-control legislation! Fax Congress.
Tell Congress to OPPOSE federal gun-control legislation! Sign the Petition.

Print This Post Print This Post

Jim Kouri

About Jim Kouri

Jim Kouri, CPP, is founder and CEO of Kouri Associates, a homeland security, public safety and political consulting firm. He’s formerly Fifth Vice-President, now a Board Member, of the National Association of Chiefs of Police, an editor for Conservative Base, and a columnist for the Examiner.

See more posts by

Previous Post

Next Post

(14 comments so far)
Larry Twidwell

I live in CA and we will be making news before long after the democrats get all of their phony ideas together. No chance of anything being stopped unless a conservative judge pops up somewhere and helps us again.

I am 65 and served in Vietnam. My days of glory are all gone and I will not surrender my guns. There is no excuse for me not to. I will be in heaven soon enough and a day here or there doesn't matter much. The time to talk is slipping away, I fear, on many issues.

February 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

Ernie

I hope all sheriff dept. honor our right to have guns…

February 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

Dave

This BS has been going on for almost 5 yrs and nothing has changed and nothing every will unlees The America People get up off their azzes and take the fight to Washington and EVERY State Capital. We are just going to keep getting the same old posts day after day because nobody is going to do 1 dam thing to rid our Nation of all the Worthless Treasonist Politicians.Blah Blah Blah I've had enough of seeing and hearing the samething day in and day out as nothing is being accomplished at all.

February 21, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Michael Gauthier

I wish to take issue with one paragraph in this article. The paragraph reads, "“How can a County Sheriff honor his oath if he needs to obtain permission from the Supreme Court? The ultimate arbiter of the meaning of the Constitution is ‘We the People’ and the duly elected County Sheriff is elected by the people to represent the will of his constituents,” Broader added."
I live in a very liberal county and if that paragraph is correct, the county Sheriff is supposed to represent the will of his constituents. I think not. The Sheriff is required by law and by his oath to support and defend the constitution. We cannot allow a city or county to make up there own rules just because the are liberal or conservative.

February 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Sam

Everyone needs to visit the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association at CSPOA dot org

They have a 6 DVD set with constitutional lawyers, sheriffs and many other experts speaking on this subject. A number of clips are provided as a preview. If you know a Sheriff or police officer that is interested in this and you want to put your money where your mouth is, buy a set for them and ask them to share. I bought a set for the Colorado County Sheriffs of Colorado Association. So I'm not suggesting anything I won't do.

February 21, 2013 at 8:36 am

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

ChewyBees chewybees

Crap I live in Illinois. Now I hafta give my irons to some family member and hope they wont sell them or shoot their neighbor.

I should probably do that before I registered-mail my FOID card (Firearms Ordinance Identification, step 1 before registration of each gun and each bullet) back to them and tell them to shove it up their ass. Both me and the former and current jailed governors of Satan know, If I tell the government I don't need their license to own anything anymore, they will send their dogs to sniff up my rectum until they get the turd their looking for.

Literally, Illinois is the model of the nation that the Feds are looking for. They couldn't get it with California, too many Mexicans who could care a less what those jags did. The Mexicans are smart enough to see the Feds and their institutional bureaucracy as just another gang, and a weakened spineless one at that, no matter the amount of weaponry or technology. The people of Illinois are ever complicit and bending over every time some fake joo psychopath election stealing mayor or governor gets on their doublespeak channel and tells the people it's time to cut their bells off because Christmas is cancelled.

February 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Hugh Capet

If my local sheriff ask me to form a posse I will be there to support him in defending the Constitution.
I hope all communities, counties in each respective states see the urgency in defending the second amendment! We have a tyrannical president and his minions/goons will enforce his will. It is up to us to rid this plague infesting our governmental institutions.

February 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

JEANNIEMAC

From Orly Taitz Blog:
“I talked to Mr. Dennison, writer of the SCOTUS blog. I called his cell number 301-512-4731.

He was correct in stating that SCOTUS only denied the STAY as Obama was already sworn in, SCOTUS never commented on the merits of the case, never stated that Obama’s papers are valid.

I asked, why did they sent 5 packets back. He said that they only need the decision of 4 justices to go to the next stage of oral argument. I responded that this looks even more corrupt and treasonous, it means that they sent the remaining packets to 4 liberal justices and 5 conservative justices never saw the papers. He stated that if I feel that the high treason was committed, I should file a complaint with the Justice department. I responded that the Justice department is complicit. I forwarded all the info to Holder and he never responded. I told him that in NAZI Germany they also had a Justice Department, Supreme Court, Parliament and judges, none of whom found one single action by Adolf Hitler to be unconstitutional and that is what we have now in the U.S. He said that he knows, that he is old enough to know what happened in Germany, but he can’t talk further.”
Orly Taitz had sent nine boxes of evidence to the Supreme Court, and five were sent back to her. Obviously the only four Justices that got the evidence were those the clerks assumed were on Obama’s side.

February 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

mike

Did obama forget he also took that oath?

February 20, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Conservative

Thank god someone in law enforcement is standing up tor the second ammendment. The attack on our rights given us by our Constitution and Bill of Rights cannot be infringed upon us unless we sit back and let them take it from us. I believe Obama is pushing his agenda in the belief he can get away with it. I believe that many Americans are waking up to his foley and will let it be known we arn't going to take it anymore, very soon.

February 20, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Lloyd

I pray that all of the leos' across the country join together on this issue. Throughout our history, leos have called on citizens to form posses or to defend their communities. Yes it is true that leos face thee dangers of getting shot or wounded in the line of duty, but without the citizens to back them up, they will be way outnumbered and out gunned by the criminal element. To all sherriffs, marshalls and police officers, I say stand you ground and defend the 2nd amendment. You will have plenty of support.. And I think it is safe to say that I can speak for the majority of U.S. citizens.
Lloyd

February 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

jtsgrandmom Adrianne Knobloch

Change it from a petition into a demand, with promise of non-compliance and I will sign. Asking them for something we inalienably own is insane. It's not theirs to give or take away. Non-negotiably and no compromise.

February 20, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

Carol K

Absolutely right! Did we forget that All of them work for us? If they didn't rig the polls, we could fire them. We need to find another way to make them do their jobs.

February 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

Kim Shimkus

if SHTF we got your guys back on this and i will speak for all sportsman, rifleman, sports shooters, and gun intusheist,and all AMERICAN CONSTITUTIONALIST in this United States we will be there so have extra badjes to han out after you deputize us to make it legal.

February 20, 2013 at 1:42 pm